The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities released an
analysis of the impact of an amendment to the continuing resolution that would
bar the use of funds to implement any aspect of the Affordable Care Act. The
amendment is being offered by Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-MT) to the continuing
resolution now on the House floor.
In a nutshell, Edwin Park’s brief finds the amendment
* Prevent enforcement of insurance market reforms and
* Halt initiatives to slow cost growth
* Block anti-fraud initiatives
* Stop Medicare benefit improvements
* Freeze work to implement future coverage expansions and
Given the number of highly controversial amendments such
as this one, the continuing resolution will have a long arduous path before
enactment so stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed that our elected leaders are able to negotiate constructively without resorting to shutting the government down.